In case you suppose La Union has nothing else to supply aside from browsing, you’re gravely mistaken! Elyu has a diverse set of wonders stored in its nooks and crannies. However should you’re staying in Urbiztondo in San Juan, one attraction that you simply shouldn’t miss is Tangadan Falls!
La Union has over a dozen waterfalls unfold all through the province — from the mildly sloping Lang-ay Falls in Tubao as much as the little-known Occalong Falls in Luna. However maybe the preferred of those cascades is Tangadan Falls, tucked within the sleepy city of San Gabriel. Punctuating a portion of the Baroro River, this waterfall has two tiers, every with a pure pool on the base, surrounded by limestone cliffs and big boulders.
Tangadan Falls is situated in Barangay Amontoc within the mountainous space of San Gabriel, La Union. So step one is to get into La Union. This waterfall is just too far for a day journey straight from Manila, so most vacationers go to it as a part of a larger La Union itinerary. They often e book a resort or resort in both San Juan (notably Urbiztondo Seaside) or San Fernando Metropolis. From right here, you’ll be able to dedicate half a day to this waterfall.
Planning to go to Tangadan Falls quickly? Listed here are among the issues to know earlier than you go.
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
1. Board a bus to San Fernando.
In case you’re coming from Metro Manila, the one transit corporations that we all know carry passengers to La Union instantly are PARTAS and VIRON Transport (as of Might 2022). Each have terminals in Cubao. You may also discover La Union-bound buses at Viron’s Sampaloc Terminal.
Board a bus to San Fernando Metropolis or San Juan, relying on the place your lodging is situated. Most La Union buses terminate in San Fernando Metropolis.
Alternatively, should you’re staying elsewhere, it’s possible you’ll catch a bus certain for Abra or Ilocos as an alternative and alight in San Juan or one other city in La Union. (Observe that NOT ALL buses permit this, so it’s necessary to ask a employees member earlier than reserving a ticket.)
For the schedule, fare and different necessary reminders, we wrote a devoted article right here: MANILA TO LA UNION BUS TRAVEL INFORMATION! ✅
In case you are bringing your individual automotive, simply use Google Maps or Waze, then search San Gabriel Municipal Corridor.
2. Journey a tricycle or jeepney to San Gabriel City Correct.
The journey time is about 45 minutes from San Fernando and about Half-hour from San Juan. Jeepney fare is between P15 and P20 pesos.
- In case you’re coming from San Fernando, head to Tanqui Transport Terminal to catch a jeepney.
- In case you’re coming from San Juan, go to Individuals’s Park, situated simply throughout the San Juan Municipal Corridor.
A extra handy (however costlier) possibility: Hail a tricycle that can take you on to San Gabriel Municipal Corridor. Roundtrip fare begins at P500 should you’re solo, or extra should you’re a bunch. (We paid P800 for a celebration of three.) The motive force can anticipate you on the city correct and take you again to your resort or resort after.
If you wish to profit from your day, organize a mixed Tangadan Falls + Northern Tour (which features a go to to Immuki Island in Bacnotan and stone points of interest in Luna). Excursions like this vary from P1800 to P2000.
3. Pay the doorway price on the Municipal Treasury Workplace.
The tricycle will drop you off round San Gabriel Municipal Corridor. It’s situated beside the Police Station on the junction.
Pay the environmental price/entrance price on the Municipal Treasury Workplace. The price is P30 per particular person.
“No Receipt, No Entry” rule is in impact. It’s possible you’ll be requested to current the official receipt when on the web site.
4. Rent a tour information.
Sure, it’s required. A “No Tour Information, No Entry” is in impact. You’ll discover the tour information station beside the police station.
Tour information price is P500 per group. We weren’t in a position to catch what number of members are allowed per group. However we had been a celebration of three and we had been thought-about only one group.
5. Journey a habal-habal or jeepney to the trailhead.
Select between a habal-habal (motorbike) and a jeep.
- Habal-habal roundtrip fare is P400 per unit. A unit can accommodate as much as 2 passengers. If time is a matter or should you’re visiting early within the morning, that is the mode of transpo for you.
- Jeepney fare is round P150 per particular person. But it surely would possibly anticipate extra passengers earlier than departing.
The journey time is 20-Half-hour.
6. Trek to the waterfall.
It’s a 15-20 minute hike down a largely concrete staircase to the waterfall. But it surely nonetheless depends upon your tempo.
NOTE: The highway resulting in the trailhead is slender and winding, and a few elements are steep. It’s fairly difficult if you’re not acquainted with the highway.
We even have a video model of this journey information right here:
- Swimming. Take a dip into the chilly freshwater of the Baroro River. In case you are not a assured swimmer, you’ll be able to hire a life vest or simply swim within the shallow elements. The mossy rocks are very slippery, so watch out.
- Cliff Diving. In case you are feeling adventurous, go cliff leaping! Test the drop level if there are swimmers under earlier than taking the plunge. Observe that the unique cliff leaping level is closed on account of security causes, however you’ll be able to nonetheless leap from the decrease protruding rock close to the falls.
- Snap away. Take a lot of images. This picturesque pure gem, with the encircling limestone cliffs, makes for a shocking picture backdrop.
Planning to spend a couple of days in La Union? San Fernando and San Juan are the perfect locations to e book a resort. They’re each centrally situated, nicely linked, and near most points of interest. Listed here are among the properties obtainable on Agoda.
Under is a full-day itinerary that features a cease in Tangadan Falls. Observe that this assumes you’re staying in San Juan, like we did. You need to use this as a part of a much bigger La Union itinerary.
Tricycle tour for Tangadan Falls is P500 if solo, P800 should you’re a bunch of three. If you wish to additionally go to Luna and Immuki Island (after Tangadan Falls), mixed tricycle tour is P1800 to P2000.
In our case, all of us agreed to go to Tangadan Falls actually early to keep away from the gang. We had been additionally a celebration of three, splitting among the prices.
05:30 AM – Tricycle to San Gabriel
06:00 AM – Rent tour information, P166.67/pax (P500/group)
06:10 AM – Pay Tangadan Falls entrance, P30
06:15 AM – Habal-habal experience, P200/pax (P400/motorbike)
06:45 AM – Take pleasure in Tangadan Falls
08:30 AM – Head again
09:00 AM – Settle Tangadan charges (should you nonetheless haven’t)
09:10 AM – Depart for Immuki Island
09:45 AM – Pay Immuki Island entrance price, P20
09:55 AM – Lease raft, P83.33/pax (P250/raft)
11:00 AM – Fast bathe – P10
11:20 AM – Bahay na Bato, P50
12:20 PM – Bato de Luna, P50 entrance, P150 lunch
01:40 PM – Dessert at Lola Mending’s Cafe – P250
02:40 PM – Baluarte Watchtower
03:15 PM – Darigayos Seaside & Paraoir Forest fast cease
04:00 PM – Again to resort, relaxation, clean up
In case you’re a bunch of three, every traveler ought to count on to shell out only for this tour:
PhP 1677 – Tangadan Falls + Immuki Island + Luna Tour
PhP 664 – Tangadan Falls Solely
What are the working hours?
As of writing, guests are solely allowed inside these occasions:
What are the bills? How a lot to funds?
Right here’s the abstract of the bills that you simply would possibly count on.
- Bus fare: P505 to P800 (relying on bus firm and route)
- Tricycle fare (San Juan to San Gabriel): P500 for solo, P800 for group of three
- Environmental Charge: P30/head
- Tour Information Charge: P500 (good for as much as 5 pax)
- Habal-Habal Journey: P400 (Roundtrip)
- Life Vest Rental: P50. That is non-compulsory solely.
What are the journey necessities for La Union?
You’ll want a NAPANAM QR Code, amongst different necessities. The complete record of necessities depends upon your vaccination standing and the alert degree of the realm the place you’re coming from.
To clarify it higher, we created a separate article with extra particulars right here: LA UNION TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS for TOURISTS 2022
When is the perfect time to go?
The cascades are sturdy through the wet season, however some elements of the path get muddy. It’s greatest to go to two to a few days after a rainfall. There’s a excessive likelihood of seeing twin cascades within the moist season, too. Nevertheless, test the official announcement of the municipal’s tourism workplace or the Municipal Catastrophe Danger Discount and Administration Council for closure and warnings earlier than you go to.
If you wish to keep away from huge crowds, go to on a weekday. In case you can’t assist visiting on a weekend or vacation, attempt to be there early within the morning (like we did).
Are walk-in guests allowed?
Sure! However if you wish to safe your slot, you’ll be able to organize for the tour a day or an evening earlier than your go to.
Is there a parking zone?
In case you are bringing your individual automotive, it’s possible you’ll park on the jeepney terminal the place the tour information station can also be situated. However because it’s a public terminal, you want to be there early earlier than the slots are stuffed.
There may be additionally a parking house on the trailhead. We’re simply undecided if they permit non-public vehicles to drive all the best way right here.
Do we actually want to rent a tour information?
No tour information, no entry.
Additionally, don’t neglect the official receipt (OR) issued by the Municipal Treasury Workplace.
The place to eat?
There’s a snack and memento stall on the trailhead’s parking space (the place the habal-habal and “monster” jeepneys park).
Is it senior- and kid-friendly?
However maybe not for seniors and undoubtedly not for these with mobility issues. The trek again to the jump-off level entails ascending trails and an extended flight of concrete steps. Though there are relaxation stops, it would nonetheless be difficult for small youngsters, seniors, and people with mobility points.
- Municipal Corridor: +63 (72) 687 0125 / 0916 479 6253
- San Gabriel Municipal Well being Workplace: +63 (72) 682 0504 / [email protected]
- San Gabriel Police Station: 0928 780 2268
- La Union Police Provincial Workplace: +63 (72) 607 5100 / 0977 844 4404
- La Union Coast Guard: +63 (72) 607 2877 / 0917 815 2012
- Provincial Catastrophe Danger Discount and Administration Workplace: 911 / 0945 283 5067
- La Union Bureau of Hearth Safety: +63 (72) 607 4066 / 0917 186 2711
- La Union Medical Middle: +63 (72) 607-5938 / 607 5541 to 45
- Aleng Pulis Hotline (for gender-based violence): +63 9197777377
- Tisya Hustisya (Free Authorized Recommendation for gender-based violence victims): Globe/TM, 09533826936; Sensible/TNT/Solar: 09510774412