Lunas Collective, volunteer-powered chat helpline, not too long ago held an occasion referred to as #DearSurvivor, a web-based dialogue on gender-based violence skilled in public and on-line areas. This on-line service has been serving to individuals who skilled gender-based violence.
Gender-based violence refers to dangerous acts skilled by anybody due to their gender id or sexuality. Throughout #DearSurvivor, audio system tackled this extensively — what it’s, what actions we will take, and the way we will take care of the survivors. On this submit, I’ll share with you a few of the issues I realized from the occasion which may be good to know to assist make secure areas for ourselves and for folks round us after we journey — whether or not it’s throughout your day by day commute or a trip.
However first, let’s speak in regards to the Secure Areas Act!
Secure Areas Act often known as Republic Act 11313 is a regulation within the Philippines that gives protecting measures and prescribe penalties for gender-based violence or harassment. Violation of the Secure Areas Act is a legal offense and is punishable with fines or imprisonment.
This is applicable in public areas corresponding to streets, eating places, inns, malls, public parks, public utility automobiles, governments places of work, workplaces, colleges, and so forth. That is additionally relevant to on-line platforms.
Based on Lunas panelist and Ateneo Legislation school member Atty. Patty Sta. Maria, the acts which can be punishable beneath this regulation embody each verbal and bodily acts corresponding to, however usually are not restricted to the next:
- Misogynistic, transphobic, homophobic, and sexist slurs
- Relentless requests for private particulars
- Uninvited feedback about look
- Sexual or lewd strategies
- Obscene gestures
- Undesirable Advances
- Any conduct of sexual nature and different conduct primarily based on intercourse that impacts the dignity of an individual, which is unwelcome, unreasonable, and offensive to the recipient.
- Creates an intimidating, hostile, or humiliating surroundings for the recipient.
This contains communication by means of digital means.
Should you witness somebody being victimized of a gender-based violence, there are issues you are able to do as a bystander. Typically, folks don’t take motion resulting from a number of causes together with what known as the bystander impact.
Bystander impact is whenever you don’t do something as a result of no person else is doing something both otherwise you’re assuming that another person is already doing one thing about it. Different causes could possibly be a cultural factor, considering that’s simply the best way it’s or considering why make it your drawback whenever you’re not being bothered. Or it is also considering that serving to gained’t actually assist anyway.
Throughout the #DearSurvivor session, panelist and bodily therapist Barb Nava mentioned the 5Ds of Bystander Intervention, as put collectively by ihollaback.org, a worldwide people-powered motion to finish all types of harassment. Get yourself up to speed with this and keep in mind it in case you witness gender-based violence in public areas.
- Distract. You are able to do this by putting up a dialog with the goal or discover one other method to attract the eye away from them. Some issues you are able to do is ask for instructions or time.
- Direct. Earlier than you do that, ensure to asses your security first. You possibly can name out or converse up in regards to the harassment and be agency about it. Then, speak to the individual being harassed.
- Delegate. Yow will discover assist from another person, particularly somebody of authority. For instance, in case you’re on a bus, you could name the eye of the conductor or the driving force. After you do that, you’ll be able to examine on the individual being harassed and ask them in the event that they need to name the police.
- Delay. After the incident is over, examine on the individual being harassed. Ask if they’re okay, if they need firm, or in the event that they need to be accompanied someplace.
- Doc. Once more, guarantee your security first earlier than doing this and attempt to do the primary 4Ds to assist the sufferer first. Should you’ve accomplished that and the harassment hasn’t stopped, file a video or an audio of what’s occurring. This could be very useful if the sufferer decides to report the incident to the police. Should you do that, right here are some things to recollect:
– Preserve a secure distance.
– Movie avenue indicators and/or different landmarks to assist establish the placement.
– Say the date and time audibly on the recording.
When the incident is over, ask the individual focused what they need to do with the footage. By no means submit it on-line with out their permission.
Guarantee that no matter you do is targeted in supporting them. And when the survivor is prepared, encourage then to succeed in out and report the incident. Listed below are a number of methods you’ll be able to report gender-based violence:
- Aleng Pulis (PNP)
PNP Ladies Little one Safety Middle Hotline: 177 / 8532-6690
Aleng Pulis Hotline: 09197777377
- Tisya Hustisya (Free Authorized Recommendation Assist)
Throughout the panel dialogue, street security advocate Arlet Villanueva additionally shared security ideas when touring, particularly in case you’re solo.
- Know your location. Familiarize your self with the place you’re visiting. Know your routes and plan your stops. Additionally it is necessary to know your method across the space you may be staying in.
- Use an app to share your location to household and associates. There are a lot of apps you should use that may enable your loved ones and associates to know your location even if you’re away from them. Use this so somebody would at all times know the place you’re.
- Convey a whistle. Once you journey alone, carry a whistle and preserve it with you always. You might use this to get consideration or name for assist in case one thing unhealthy occurs.
- Don’t be afraid to talk up whenever you really feel uncomfortable. Your security is a very powerful so don’t be afraid to say when one thing is making you uncomfortable.
For extra details about LUNAS COLLECTIVE, take a look at their Facebook page!
2022 • 01 • 13